When asked this question most people answer, “Yes!” However, different people and different religions suggest all kinds of ways for us to achieve that goal. In fact many argue that any which way you like will work just fine. Suspend your honest prejudices for a moment as we consider the question:
Can we approach God any way we want?
- When we approach a city we may do so from any direction. We can arrive by car from the North, by bus from the South, by train from the East or on foot from the West. (We could even parachute in from above or tunnel in from below and still arrive at the same destination). So a city may be approached in many different ways, from many different angles.
- However, this is not true of a person. If I want to become your friend I have to do so on your terms or not at all. I can try to approach you in many different ways but you can choose whether to receive me, ignore me or even to hide from me when you see me coming. Because you are a person you will always have the option of saying “No!”
So to answer the question: “Can we approach God any way we want?” The logical answer is only if He is a city. On the other hand if He is a person then we can only successfully approach Him on His terms.
The Bible teaches that God is a person and that He has chosen to make a way to friendship with Him only through the death of Jesus on the cross.
When Jesus voluntarily gave His life in our place, he removed the barrier of our sin, which stops us from being able to begin a relationship with God. Now the way is open for us to approach God by coming to Him through Jesus.
How can we do that?
By saying Sorry, Thank You and Please.
- I’m Sorry for all the things I have done wrong and I choose now to turn from them.
- Thank you Jesus for dying on the cross for me.
- Please come into my life as my Lord and King.
What’s stopping you from making that decision right now?
If you made that choice or just have a question please contact us and let us know. We’d love to help you.